Greetings friends, Veeam has announced its new Update 4 for the already long-lived version 9.5 of Veeam Backup and Replication. The previous update was released in July and included support for vSphere 6.7 among many other things, but it is true that a lot of time has passed since then and that there were certain features that we were waiting for in this new Update 4.
Recording of the release of Veeam Backup & Replication v9.5 u4 live from Orlando
I leave you the moments to jump directly into the action (thanks to Anthony Spiteri):
- 3:57 – Ratmir Timashev Intro
- 11:20 – Danny Allan and Anton Gostev Intro
- 20:30 – Anthony Spiteri Cloud Tier Demo
- 38:06 – Michal Cade Staged and Secure Restore Demo
- 47:35 – Rick Vanover Veeam ONE Demo
Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 4 what’s new?
With a What’s New of 23 pages it’s not easy to summarize everything, but I’m going to try and put the most important functionalities, we’ll see them one by one in following blogs:
Veeam Availability Suite v9.5 u4
- Cloud Tier: Provides unlimited capacity for long-term data storage using native object storage integrations from Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Azure Blob Storage, IBM Cloud Object Storage, and with Amazon S3-compatible service providers and on-premises storage solutions. With Veeam, customers avoid paying twice for cloud storage, unlike other backup providers who impose a “cloud fee” in addition to the cost of storage demanded by the cloud provider.
- Cloud Mobility: Enterprises can easily migrate, move, and retrieve any on-premises or cloud-based workload at AWS, Azure, and Azure Stack in just two steps. This ensures continuity of operations and availability, increases agility, and optimizes costs in hybrid cloud environments.
- Veeam DataLabs Enhanced: Enterprises have increased the number of data governance and security options including preparing for new general data protection regulations (GDPR) and preventing malware attacks with DataLabs Staged and Secure restore.
- Intelligent diagnostics: Enterprises can reduce management and support costs by proactively resolving configuration issues.
- Veeam Cloud Connect Replication (VCC-R) for Enhanced Service Providers: Service providers using VMware vCloud Director can leverage existing network, infrastructure, and self-service management investments for Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) solutions to achieve lower total cost of ownership (TCO) and higher margins.
Veeam Instance Licensing (VIL)
The new Cloud-Ready Veeam licenses are the first portable subscription licenses in the industry and provide IT agility and workload mobility to multicloud enterprises:
- Portable: When workloads are moved from one platform to another, licenses also run on one platform or another automatically: “VMware – Hyper-V – Physical – Windows – Linux – AWS – Azure – IBM Cloud – others” helps customers with their multicloud strategy without an additional increase in license cost.
- Simple: Now purchasing and managing Veeam licenses is much easier, saving customers time and resources.
- By combining portability and license simplicity without increasing cost, Veeam again becomes an industry disruptor.
Plugins designed for Enterprise environments
- Plug-in Veeam for SAP HANA is an SAP-certified solution that allows HANA DBAs to use the BACKINT interface to back up and restore HANA databases to and from the Veeam backup repository, including support for SAP HANA HCI deployments.
- Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN allows Oracle DBAs to use the RMAN manager to back up and restore Oracle databases in a Veeam backup repository. This RMAN-based integration provides customers with an additional method to achieve Oracle’s goals of availability and expanded platform without replacing the existing OCI-based integration built into the image level – which often can
fit better depending on your scenario.
Veeam Availability for AWS
This new solution, part of the Veeam Availability Platform, combines Veeam N2WS, the market leader in native cloud backup, and AWS workload recovery with the ability to consolidate backup data into a central Veeam repository. This new feature allows customers to reliably move data and manage it comprehensively in multicloud environments. It also